Effective July 1, 2010
Any entity (Contractor/Developer/Utility Co.) planning to work in or affect the City of Rio Rancho Right-Of-Way must:
1) Have a current City of Rio Rancho business license, excavation bond in the amount of at least $10,000, and insurance on file with the City. Compaction Results, fees and fines from previous permits must be up to date. Your application for a ROW Permit will not be processed until your have submitted the necessary documents. Please email compaction results to e-mail
and bring original bond/insurance documentation to Suite #200, City Hall.
2) Obtain electronic “Request for Right-of-Way Permit” Form (see link below) or e-mail e-mail
to request a form.
3) Completely fill out the form (Electronic form can be completed in MS Word or “type-able” PDF (handwritten forms will no longer be accepted after January 1, 2010.) Incomplete forms will be returned to requestor.
a) Note that detailed information about the scope of the work, size of the work zone and duration of the work. The permit fee is based on this information.
4) Print the form and sign it (electronic or script signatures are not acceptable).
5) Obtain a Traffic Control Plan (TCP) from certified traffic control firm.
6) E-mail both the completed/signed ROW Permit Form and the TCP to e-mail
in one e-mail. Staff will not be responsible for matching ROW Permit Form e-mails with TCP emails if they are submitted separately. Faxed forms are not acceptable.
7) If ROW Permit Form is incomplete or any information is missing, the requesting entity will be sent an email stating that their Permit will not be processed until the missing information is submitted.
8) When a complete submission is received, the TCP will be reviewed for accuracy and relevance to proposed work. The requesting entity will be notified via email of any deficiencies (incorrect or incomplete) with their TCP.
9) Permits will be approved within 5 working days after receipt of the complete ROW Permit Form, including accurate TCP, bond, and insurance.
10) When the Permit is approved an email will be sent to the Requestor notifying them of the approval, the amount of the permit fee, and that they need to pay for and pick up their permit at City Hall.
11) Bring the e-mail to the City Cashier (1st floor, City Hall) and pay for the Permit. Get receipt of payment from cashier.
12) Bring the receipt to Engineering (Suite #200) and pick up the Permit.
13) A copy of the Permit must be on the job site at all times.
14) If you have questions, please e-mail e-mail
View Permit Cost Flow Cart (Searchable PDF
ROW Permit Request Form (PDF
/ MS Word
/ MS Word
) City Ordinance (Chapter 96) Permit Processes and Fees
Reading the PDF documents provided on this site requires the Adobe Acrobat Reader, available for free from Adobe